1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/gas 8.
2. In a pestle and mortar, roughly grind together the dried red chillies, fennel seeds and black peppercorns.
3. Mix in the turmeric, garlic, coriander and fresh red chilli.
4. Give it a rough bash before stirring through some olive oil and squeezing in the lime juice and zest.
5. Rub the sardines inside and out with the spiced marinade, stuffing what's left inside the cavity of the fish.
6. Lay on a baking tray and sprinkle with sea salt before roasting for around 8 minutes, or until the skin is crispy.
7. Serve straight from the oven with a delicious side salad for an easy mid week meal.
Anjali’s Tip You can make this recipe with mackerel fillets if the bones from the sardines are too much for you. Just cook through for a few more minutes.