1. Wash the beetroot and boil for 45 minutes until tender.
2. Drain, peel and chop into small pieces.
3. In a heavy base casserole pan add all the ingredients apart from the beetroot.
4. Leave to cook for around 15 minutes before stirring in the beetroot.
5. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for around 1 hour. Make sure you stir it every now and again to make sure it doesn't catch and burn on the bottom.
6. In the meantime sterilise your jars. Wash them in warm soapy water and pop in a cold oven set to 150°C/300°F/gas 2 for 10 minutes to dry out.
7. When your chutney is ready carefully remove your sterilised jars with oven gloves and fill them with the piping hot chutney. Be really careful as the chutney is crazy hot!
8. Seal immediately and leave to cool. This chutney will last about 6 months but always check the lid to see if anything unsavoury is growing on there. If there is then check the chutney before eating.
Anjali's Tip This tastes delicious with cheese or even as a relish with koftas or bhajias. Oooohhh stir through some yoghurt to make a really funky dip! Possibilities are endless...