1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/375°F/gas 4.
2. Cream together the butter and sugars until pale.
3. Stir in the vanilla essence.
4. Slowly add the egg in batches making sure you beat the mixture well between each addition.
5. Sift over the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and salt and mix well.
6. Stir in the raisins and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
7. Place tablespoons of the mixture onto baking sheets leaving plenty of room to spread, at least 15 cm apart.
8. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should be set in the centre and very lightly golden.
9. Remove from the oven and leave on the tray to cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.