1. Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl until broken. It doesn’t matter if some are still whole.
2. Toast the spices by heating a heavy based frying pan on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds and move them around every few seconds until light golden brown and you can smell their aromas. Coarsely grind in a pestle & mortar.
3. In the same frying pan gently heat half the vegetable oil and fry the turmeric powder (if using) with the red onions, carrots, garlic, ginger, red chilli and chorizo. Grind over a generous amount of black pepper.
4. Sauté for a few minutes and add to the mashed chickpeas.
5. Stir through the toasted spices, fresh coriander, fresh dill (if using), breadcrumbs, beaten egg and lime/lemon juice.
6. Season with a little salt.
7. Gently heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan. Take around a golf ball size amount of chickpeas mixture in your hands and roll into a ball before flattening slightly to resemble fritter shapes.
8. Start frying them for a few minutes on each side, before flipping over. They should be golden brown.
9. Serve with some yoghurt and an little extra sprinkling of sea salt.