1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
2. First roast the beets by laying out a large piece of foil. Toss the beets in half the mustard and 1 tablespoon of oil. Add a good pinch of salt and the root ginger slices and wrap up to form a parcel. Roast in the oven for around 30 minutes, or until the beets are just tender but are holding their shape.
3. In the meantime mix the red onion with 1 teaspoon of maple syrup, the white wine vinegar and a little salt. Set aside until ready to use.
4. Make the maple pecans by laying the pecans on an oiled baking sheet and drizzling over around 2 teaspoons of maple syrup. Roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes before removing from the oven. Carefully remove them from the baking sheet whilst warm or they may stick. If this happens you can easily pop them back in the oven to soften the syrup again.
5. Once the beets are cooked, discard the ginger and allow to cool slightly whilst you make the dressing by mixing together the remaining oil, mustard, red onions and its marinade. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
6. Make the salad by tossing together the salad leaves, warmed beetroot, maple pecans and the dressing. Sprinkle over the cheese and serve.