1. Gently heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida (if using).
2. When the seeds starts sizzling add the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chilli (if using).
3. Saute for 1 minute before adding the tomatoes and garam masala. Sprinkle in a little water to protect your spices from burning.
4. Stir well and after a few minutes stir in the drained chickpeas. Add around 200 ml of water.
5. Cover and allow to cook on a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt.
7. Finally stir through the coriander and serve with your favourite Indian bread.