1. Toast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and black peppercorns in a frying pan on a medium heat. Move them around often or they will burn.
2. In a pestle and mortar bash the dried red chillies until they are all broken and the seeds have been released.
3. Once the toasted seeds have started to change golden brown and you can smell the aroma, tip into the pestle and mortar and bash them until they are coarse.
4. Stir in the sugar, salt, smoked paprika and cinnamon powder.
5. Use within 3 months, stored in an airtight jar away from sunlight. Rub on meat, or mix with oil to make a beautiful marinade.