1. Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle to around 5mm thick using sugar to dust if it begins to stick.
2. Sprinkle the top very generously with sugar, cinnamon powder and nutmeg (if using). Feel free to raid your spice cupboard and add whatever you like!
3. With the long end facing you, roll the pastry away from you into the middle trying to keep it as tight as possible. Do the same with the other end. It should look like two swirls that meet in the middle.
4. Wrap up in cling film and pop in the fridge to chill down and relax for around 30 mins, or whatever you have time for.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Line a few baking sheets with baking parchment.
6. Slice the palmiers into slices about 1cm thick. Lay them flat onto the baking sheets leaving space between them as they will spread whilst cooking.
7. Sprinkle them once more with a little sugar and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes, or until pale golden brown.
8. Turn them over and bake for another 10 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.