1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas 4 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, ground ginger, ground cinnamon and nutmeg together.
3. Rub in the butter so it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the golden syrup, mix it together and form it into a dough.
5. Divide into 16 pieces and roll them into small balls.
6. Flatten with the palm of your hand or base of a glass and place on the parchment paper.
7. Sprinkle with a little extra sugar and press lightly with your fingers.
8. Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.