1. In a heavy based casserole pan gently heat the olive oil and add the onions.
2. After around 10 minutes the onions will have softened. Add in the remaining ingredients apart from the figs.
3. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes, or until the chutney has turned syrupy.
4. Add the figs to the chutney and stir well before leaving to cook for another 30 minutes. They should go all pulpy.
5. In the meantime sterilise your jars. Wash them in warm soapy water and pop in a cold oven set to 150°C/300°F/gas 2 for 10 minutes to dry out.
6. When your chutney is ready carefully remove your sterilised jars with oven gloves and fill them with the piping hot chutney. Be really careful as the chutney is crazy hot!
7. Seal immediately and leave to cool. This chutney will last about 6 months but always check the lid to see if anything unsavoury is growing on there. If there is then check the chutney before eating.