1. Wash the rice in several changes of water and then leave to soak in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes.
2. In a large pan add plenty of boiling water and add the whole spices and saffron.
3. Drain the rice and add to the pan, stirring well before adding the salt.
4. Stir again and add the vegetable oil.
5. Bring back to the boil and allow to cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes. The rice should have a little bite to it before you remove from the heat and drain the water. Remove the whole spices before serving if you wish.